Tuesday, July 21, 2009

What's for Dinner?

I spent most of my day in the kitchen. I really just love cooking! Tonight we had chicken chimichangas, refried beans made in the crock pot, and Salsa Verde. The meal was good, although if I were making the chimichangas again I would leave out the green onion, or maybe use a sweet white onion instead. I just didn't care for the flavor. Anyway - I thought I would share the recipe for Salsa Verde. This is one of our favorite kinds of salsa ... my husband always asks for it at mexican restuarants. The grocery store I shop at in Hawaii carrys tomatillos so I made my own today. Consider yourself forewarned, this is HOT!!! Too hot for me, my husband said it was the perfect heat for him.


Salsa Verde -

  • 1 lb tomatillo
  • 3-4 jalepeno
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
  • 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 tablespoon chicken bouillion granule
  • Directions:
  1. To make the salsa, boil the tomatillos (without the papery husk), and jalapenos, until the jalapenos change color (About 10 -15 minutes). Put all the tomatillos, and jalapenos in a blender, add some of the water that was used to boil them. Add the onion coarsely chopped, along with the cilantro, garlic, and bouillon.
  2. To prevent minor burns, either use a clean washcloth instead of the top of the blender to cover, or if your blender top has the little attachment you can remove, remove it before you blend the hot ingredients. Blend everything.

1 comments:

Jamie said...

made this today. i'm not a huge fan of green salsa but my friend is and it sounded neat to make! i only used two jalapenos, they were on the large size. i didn't seed them because it didn't say too, so i just cut the stem off and threw them in. it turned out good. i'm thinking next time i might try adding some cumin to give it a smoky flavor. oh and salt, i added salt. but thanks for the recipe!! it was a hit with my friend, she loved it!!

My Family

This is me!
JamiSeattle23Jan08
My Soldier
JDFIraq
My kids
be783c9e-ee2a-11dc-b30c-0015170f982cw

Blogs I Read

 
Blog Design by Template-Mama.