Saturday, October 3, 2009

All American Chili

Okay Okay ... so, I have seriously neglected my blog. Shame, shame. I haven't had a lot of time lately between working my two part time jobs, taking my two college classes, and taking care of my two kids and hubby. There seems to be a theme of two's here ....


Anyway, just to appease I thought I would share my favorite chili recipe since it's fall somewhere (certainly not in hot Hawaii!) and chili is a perfect fall food ...

Yield

8 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups chili and 1 tablespoon cheese)

Ingredients

  • 6 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage
  • 2 cups chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
  • 8 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 pound ground sirloin
  • 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 1/4 cups Merlot or other fruity red wine (can sub w/ beef or chicken stock if you aren't a wino like me!)
  • 2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped (Note: I dont like tomato chunks, so I use tomato sauce instead)
  • 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
  • 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese

Preparation

Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage, onion, and the next 4 ingredients (onion through jalapeño) to pan; cook 8 minutes or until sausage and beef are browned, stirring to crumble.

Add chili powder and the next 7 ingredients (chili powder through bay leaves), and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, tomatoes, and kidney beans; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Uncover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard the bay leaves. Sprinkle each serving with cheddar cheese.

Note: Like most chilis, this version tastes even better the next day.


0 comments:

My Family

This is me!
JamiSeattle23Jan08
My Soldier
JDFIraq
My kids
be783c9e-ee2a-11dc-b30c-0015170f982cw

Blogs I Read

 
Blog Design by Template-Mama.